Freitag, 24. Juni 2016

Illamasqua Lipsticks

I was very excited when I first found out about Illamasqua, since it is a cruelty-free company that offers a range of unique lipstick colors in matte and satin finishes. However, I quickly found out that the pigmentation, creaminess and staying power differ vastly between the colors.

Because all but one of my lipsticks have matte finishes, I have decided to review all of them together here. Below are two arm swatches of the colors: one in sunlight (man! I look pale) and one in indoor lighting.

Arm Swatches in Sunlight


L to R: Underworld-Liv-Flare-Apocalips-Kontrol-Disciple-Pristine-Soaked

Arm Swatches in Indoor Lighting


L to R: Underworld-Liv-Flare-Apocalips-Kontrol-Disciple-Pristine-Soaked

My Lips - for reference


Matte Lipsticks
The matte lipsticks from Illamasqua are very true to their description because they are absolutely matte. As such, most are at least slightly drying over time, but there is quite a bit of variance in the degree of creaminess or stiffness between the colors. The matte colors tend to be easier to apply when the temperature is a bit warmer, but even then, some are not easy to work with.

Here are swatches without any primer or lip liner, which should help to explain why some are not extremely attractive.

Underworld

Underworld is an iridescent, purple-blue-pink color that is rather sheer. It could be a beautiful color, but it is so stiff, and when applied, it always applies in patchy splotches. This is probably the best application I have gotten out of this lipstick, since it doesn't look that bad, but other times, I have applied multiple coats in efforts to make the color more even - only to make everything even patchier. I wanted to love this because I thought that it could be a great, sheer color to wear alone or combine with other lipticks, but I cannot even wear it. Maybe it only applies like in the picture in the summer, so I will give it a try on other warm days, but this is disappointing, since it could be so pretty if only the formula wasn't so horrible.

Liv

I cannot imagine who this color would look good on - maybe people who are a bit tan and quite daring - or maybe in combination with another color in an ombre look of some sort. Liv is fairly creamy compared to some of the others, but it applies in streaks and is difficult to even out because it comes off so easily, revealing the lip color underneath. This color would definitely need a primer or a lip concealer to prevent that from happening, but I have no idea when anyone would wear this, except maybe as part of a costume.

Flare

Flare is one of the stiffer colors that must be built up quite a bit, but it doesn't apply in streaks like Liv. The color is a yellow-orange that is beautiful, if not universally flattering. It definitely needs a lip liner, as almost all of the other colors, and it should be accompanied by a primer and/balm because it is fairly drying.

Apocalips

Apocalips is one of the creamier colors, and it generally applies fairly smoothly and comes off opaque in one to two coats. It is a beautiful teal color, and this is one of the first lipsticks I bought from Illamasqua, which made me think that all of them were so smooth and only minimally drying. Sadly, that is not the case with many of the mattes.

Kontrol

Kontrol is my favorite lipstick from Illamasqua, and it is one of my favorite lipsticks, in general. This is by far the creamiest of the mattes from Illamasqua, and it applies fully opaque in one swipe. Over time, it is slightly drying, and because it does not wear off evenly, it is necessary to have the bullet on hand. However, it does last for about 5 hours before re-application is necessary.

Disciple

As you can see, Disciple is one of the colors that streaks when applied. It is one of the stiffer colors, and even after applying multiple coats, it stays patchy. The only hope is to cancel out your lip color and use a liner. Keeping lip balm on hand is also vital because this color is very drying. It also tends to settle into lip lines.

Pristine

Pristine is probably the second worst of all the Illamasqua lipsticks that I have (next to Underworld). It is very stiff and impossible to apply evenly. It always ends up patchy, and it settles into lip lines. It is also very drying over time.


Glamore Lipstick - Satin
I cannot speak to all of the satin lipsticks from Illamasqua, as I only have one, but if the others are as good as this one, they would be great lipsticks.

Soaked

Soaked is the only satin that I have, but it applies so smoothly and completely opaque in one swipe that I may consider purchasing other satins. It is a red-toned orange that definitely needs a liner, but that is more flattering than Flare.

Overall, I have been extremely disappointed by about half of my Illamasqua lipsticks, and the other half really surprised me positively. That being said, I will be much more weary about buying any lipsticks from them in the future, but if the lipsticks are on sale sometime, maybe I will pick up some more of the satins. Apocalips and Kontrol are two of my favorite matte lipsticks that I own, and because Kontrol is not an easily dupable color, it is definitely worth the money for the great quality and the unique color.

I have not received any financial or other incentives for writing this review. This review represents my opinions about the lipsticks described.

Illamasqua's website: http://www.illamasqua.com/




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen